Sleep deprivation is bad for your health, it negatively affects your mood and will cause stress. What should you do before going to bed to ensure you get a better quality rest? Or rather, what shouldn’t you do?
Here is a list of 10 things not to do before going to sleep:
- Do not set the alarm before going to bed, as it only serves to increase anxiety
- Don’t bring technology into the bedroom. It’s a good idea to switch off all your screens, as the blue light emitted by electronic devices inhibits the production of melatonin, the sleep hormone
- Never drink coffee before going to bed. Many doctors, in fact, advise against consuming any caffeine after 5 p.m.
- Dine at least four hours before going to bed. Your body needs time to digest!
- Be careful not to get into fights before going to sleep, getting worked up will cause stress and raise the adrenaline level
- Set yourself a routine and try to sleep an average of 8 hours per night. Consistency is key!
- Keep the heating under control: lower temperatures favor sleep
- Don’t practice sports before going to bed, a relaxing walk is a much better choice
- Avoid taking a hot shower just before you get under the sheets. Despite having a relaxing effect, heat can make your sleep restless
- And absolutely no alcohol! Alcohol has a relaxing effect, but tends to induce a lighter state of sleep, where it’s easier to wake up.
If these are the things to avoid, on the other hand, you should also never lose sight of the things to do, like making sure you have a mattress and a pillow that ensure quality rest and relaxation.